Sunday, December 18, 2011

Catching up...


I realize that there are some people who are able to add to their blogs every day, but I cannot. So once in awhile I have to catch you up with things that have been going on in my life. I wanted to thank all of you who posted notes about our loss of Brutus. Your kindness and loving thoughts really helped. We miss him constantly and our cat Rascal has lost her companion so has been walking around the house meowing for her Brudy, but she can't find him. His ashes are in a wooden box on our windowsill.

I never completed posting from the ATHA conference, but at this point you have probably enjoyed seeing all the rugs on other sites. But here are a few you probably didn't see. I believe they were made by Heather Richie.



One of my classes was with Peggy Hannum, who makes amazing and beautiful rugs. She is donating a rug she made to the hooked Rug Museum of North America, and brought it to show me but I didn't get a photo of it. She had some kits for pillows and purses and I loved the colors she chose for this one.

Shortly after my return from Pennsylvania it suddenly became winter for a few weeks. This was how my world looked for Halloween!

My next getaway came quickly with the Alfred, Maine hook-in, which is a 3 day weekend held each Spring and Fall. It is a simple weekend with no frills. We stay in sparse rooms in an old building, but the hooking rooms are sunny and full of laughter. It is a great weekend of fun and plenty of hooking time with wonderful friends. Here are a few of the things people were working on:










I often feel badly for not posting the names of the people who hooked the rugs, but I will confess that I don't always record them and sometimes am just lazy and don't take the time. If you know the hookers and want me to add information please let me know.

I completed my "Friendship Squares" rug and although I enjoyed making it I am glad to have it off the frame. I will bind it with navy blue wool yarn during Christmas weekend.

I drove out to Vermont to spend two days at the Vermont Rug Hooking Guild "Hooked in the Mountains" show. It is always an amazing show and this year they outdid themselves. If you have not seen pictures of the show you can go to facebook and do a search as there are several places to enjoy the rugs.

Last weekend was our ATHA chapter Tin Pedlar's meeting and holiday party. It was quite nice with plenty of food, door prizes and a Yankee stylewoolie  swap. I took few pictures but here is a nice one of Jackye Hanson opening her swap gift.
And of course there was an abundance of food. The set up committee did a wonderful job and everything looked festive. 
 I began another rug that has a quilt design based on Amish quilt squares. There are three sections and I am starting in the center. I think the colors I chose will look pretty together as they are rich jewel tones of wool.

 Yesterday I went to the local Farmer's Market held at the Wentworth Greenhouses in Dover, NH. It was a chilly day and there was something wonderful about going into the large greenhouses with the warmth, humidity and lots of plants.
Since it is Winter they have one large greenhouse available for the market. The variety of foods is astonishing and you can get anything from meats to eggs and of course plenty of vegetables. Tonight we had roasted apple & camambert cheese ravioli with alfredo sauce and fresh string beans. I also bought some whole bean coffee roasted locally.

 Loaves of fresh breads with a wonderful aroma.

The displays looked beautiful and these were tempting.
Yum...brussel sprouts...waiting to be roasted with butter and garlic.

Garlic...yes, here it is!

And there was music adding to the festive atmosphere. The chilly outdoor temperatures were forgotten.

 Of course the greenhouse had many plants for sale including things we cannot grow outside in our climate. These lemons were a cheerful color.

 "Tis the season for pointsettias, and one of their other greenhouses had thousands to choose from. I loved the soft colors on the pink leaves.

 And of course there were artists and plenty of fibery fun. Basketmakers, glass beads and jewelry, gorgeous wood cutting boards and plenty more. Spinners spun pretty hand dyed wool.
Most of the vendors have farms and Riverslea Farm had hand knit items as well as wools and fiber to spin. Several years ago I bought a soft fleece for the seat of my chair.


And my friend Rae was overseeing the items from the Wool and Goods store she owns with Kathy in Rollinsford, NH. Everything looked beautiful, but the shop has so much more so stop by when you are on the Seacoast of New Hampshire and Maine. Their wools are luscious, they have a nice variety of classes  and you won't meet nicer women anywhere!
So that catches you up with my life outside of work. The coming week will be a flurry of activity as I finish up some small presents and send out mailings, bake yummies and wrap. If anyone knows how to wrap an extension ladder let me know! If I don't connect with you for Christmas please enjoy a safe holiday full of love and the true meaning of the Birthday the holiday represents. God bless you!

7 comments:

Alice ~ Folk Art Primitives said...

Glad to hear from you! Unless you're a blogger, no one knows how hard it is to keep up with it! Love your flower pix ~ you're right, those are rugs we have not seen ~ great rugs by the way! Love the market photos ~ a very informative post ~ and I love lots of pictures! Merry Christmas to you and yours!! And thanks for posting!

elizabethmartel said...

You've been very busy ...loved the market pictures. ...and of course all the rugs. Your new piece looks interesting..can't wait to see the whole pattern...it looks quite large. I love the jewel colours. My sister and I have often talked of doing a joint venture of rwo pieces using the same general pattern...she's a quilter. I'm looking forward to seeing yours progress.
Merry Christmas to you and yours.
Elizabeth

Grandma Simons said...

What fun to learn about the Farmer's Market! Is it held throughout the winter? Or was that the last one for the season?
I love the new rug you've started; the colors are regal. :0)

Merry Christmas!

WoolenSails said...

It sounds like you have been keeping busy and having fun at retreats. I hope you have a wonderful Christmas.

Debbie

Saundra said...

Oh there something to be said about the joy of friendship and laughter to warm up a room. Loved the pictures of everyone's projects and the tour of the farer's market made me hungry! I could smell the freshly baked bread thru the computer screen.

Saundra

LadybugSue said...

Sorry for your loss. The pictures are beautiful. Hope your holiday was good. Everything here is really good, Happy New Year!

carpet cleaning Milwaukee WI said...

Wonderful post, very informative.