Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Setting up the rug show...

My day began early with the drive over to the Eden Hotel. I was one of the team who had volunteered to set up the rug show for ATHA. New partitions have been purchased by ATHA to ensure that this and future shows look professional. The assembly of the new partitions went quite well until we realized there were missing parts. Some dowels were found and cut and when combined with rubber bands sufficed to get the walls up by lunchtime.

When registration for rugs began they were each double tagged, and brought into the room where they were grouped by theme or colors. There were some wonderful rugs I wanted to investigate but at this point we were far too busy creating the shape of the display walls.

When the walls were fully assembled there were rods to place across the top to stabilize the display. Then we all began hanging the rugs. We split into teams, with a group doing the Magdelina rugs, and another doing large round rugs, and another doing the Red challenge.
It was like asswembling a giant puzzle with different size pieces, and colors were important. We had to find a proper home for every piece that would show it off.



There were quite a few items such as footstools, pillows and one beautiful hooked upholstered chair.
The vendors were incredibly busy on the outskirts of the rug show area as they brought in thousands of pounds of goodies. They worked very hard to make their booths attractive and easy for everyone to access. I know they hope to go home empty handed, and I'm sure we will all help them!
Shhhh! Here is a sneak sampling of some of the wonderful rugs that will be in the show that opens tomorrow. don't tell anyone!
This rug is called "Flight" hooked by Elizabeth (Liz) Marino. I love it and the picture does not do it justice. The reflection is amazing.
This is "Beyond Tradition" hooked by Ann Shamberger. It is an adaptation of a  Hopi artist( Lomayesra?)
This is "Sorrow" by Ivy Collier. The colors are wonderful and I would love to know the story behind it. We all know that rugs tell stories.
Next is "The Fish and the Pond" by Barbara Twigg.


"Mater Gravida" by Debra Walland.

"All Cooped Up" hooked by Marcye Gough

"Heritage: hooked by Joan Strausbaugh. It would be very hard for me to pick a favorite rug of the show, but this would be in my top five. It's gorgeous!


I don't remember the name of the rugger that hooked this Mola, but the colors are vibrant!
That was your sneak peak into the ATHA rug show. I hope you can stop by Lancaster and see the rest of the rugs in person. If not, check back here as I will try to do updates every evening. After all the work setting things up with the "show girls" it was time to go to the local buffet. they are quite common in this area.





8 comments:

Pat said...

Love your postings and the pictures. Hope you'll continue for those of us who can't make it to the biennial.

Thanks........pat

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for sharing with those of us that can't be there. I wanted to come so bad but have been ill for the past year and was not able to travel. You are very generous to share, considering how busy setting up you were, thank you again, Julie

Elizabeth Martel said...

What wonderful rugs...I could look at them for hours. What I wouldn't give to be there with all of you. Have a wonderful time!
Woops I didn't mean to be anonymous :)

WoolenSails said...

Nice sneak peak, amazing rugs and love the new set up, shows off the rugs so nicely.

Debbie

Joanne said...

You girls certainly did a lot of work - I was there yesterday and everything looked great (wish they had better lighting in the room though!) Amazing rugs!

LadybugSue said...

I stopped by to see what's up. Loved this entry as I am from that neck of the woods and spent my teen years visiting friends in Reading. Yes the Buffets are common and in my opinion the best PA Dutch Food!! The rugs are gorgeous!

Mary said...

Love the rug with the two horses facing each other in the booth with the upholstered hooked chair. it is the one below the one with the three dogs chasing a deer. Can you email me and let me know who hooked it? I would love the pattern etc. thx a million. LOVE your blog!!! Email address - mschinzel@kaleidahealth.org

Kathy Lorsung said...

Hi. Would you please email me the crossword puzzle you posted on Rug Hooking Daily? I've tried copying it off the site, but I can't seem to enlarge it and it is very blurry and I can't read it. It would be so much fun to do the puzzle at one of my group's hooking day. I thank you in advance.

Kathy
pandklorsung@gmail.com