Monday, July 4, 2011

Independance Day

As a young child I was raised to appreciate our United States of America and our great flag. My Mother was born on Memorial Day and always said they had a parade when she was born. My spouse is an Army Veteran and we proudly display the flag every day. I learned as a child that the colors of the flag have significance. The white stands for purity, the red stands for hardiness and valor, and the blue stands for strength and vigilance. Did you know that a flag expert is called a vexelologist? I was taught that there are rules for how the flag should be displayed and respected. Some of them are:
* Never, ever let the Flag touch the ground
* The blue ground with stars should always be displayed to the left unless from a pole where it can be seen from all sides.
* The flag should be displayed outdoors only between sunrise and sunset unless properly illuminated.
* The flag of the United States should always be displayed higher or at equal level to other flags when in the U.S.
* At the first note of 'The Star Spangled Banner", our national anthem, everyone should show respect by facing the flag, standing at attention, remove hats and place their right hand over their heart. It makes me cringe when I see people at parades and ball games not getting to their feet to show respect for our flag. That's just the way I am.
As a child I attended many parades and enjoyed watching our Veterans, Girl and Boy scouts, Community Officials, Police and Firefighters show pride in our United States. Annually we would attend the fireworks at McGuire AFB on Independance Day. I read the Constitution and every day in school we recited the Pledge of Allegiance. I learned that our national motto is "In God We Trust".
Our Constitution has given us rights that many other countries do not have. I cannot imagine living in a country where I would be buried to my chest and stoned for showing my face or ankles or not wearing black all the time. Arranged marriages are common in many parts of the world, as young as 12 years of age. It is acceptable for a husband to beat his wife, even to death, but if she speaks one word against him or his family she will receive the death penalty. Can you imagine? We are so blessed to live where we can express ourselves as long as it does no harm to others.
There are times when I feel the actions of our government are in error. However, I will always feel proud that I was born and raised to feel pride for our country and honor the huge, huge sacrifices our soldiers have made. Being an American and enjoying the Rights of Americans is earned and not an entitlement. On this Independance Day, enjoy your families and barbeques and fireworks. But please remember that this isn't just a day off of work. This is a day for us to remember the intent of our Founding Fathers and remember that we are obligated to honor our flag and country. I'm so proud to be an American!

3 comments:

Primitives By The Light of The Moon said...

An absolutely wonderful post. Wishing you and yours a very Happy Independence Day!!!

leLoops said...

So very well said! Thank you!

Woolly Lott Rugs said...

Beautiful post. Glad to see you posting again. xxoo