Sunday, August 8, 2010

Vermont for the GMRHG Hook-in

I have so much to tell you! I will attempt to offer you several posts today in order to share my activities with you. Last weekend I headed over to Vermont to attend the Summer Hook-in for the Green Mountain Rug Hooking Guild. I feel a kinship and loyalty to that group as their rug show is what endeared me to rug hooking and prompted my journey into a wonderful new way of creating things with wool. Many members such as myself do not live in Vermont but enjoy the activities and amazing talent in their guild. Their membership enjoys some of the best rug hookers in the world.

Vermont is beautiful. I believe it is one of the prettiest States in our glorious Country. No matter where you look you will see rolling hills and beautiful sights. I had plenty of time so took the path less traveled. I came upon a lovely covered bridge back in the woods on a gravel path. I spent a few minutes enjoying the quiet and listening to the stream running gently under the bridge.

Vermont is celebrated for their farmland, and of course they have an abundance of cows. Isn't it curious how animals identify each other with butt sniffing greetings? I'm so glad that humans merely shake hands to greet each other!
The weather in the northeast has been wonderful and the crops are doing well. Cornfields are abundant and it looks like there will be a healthy crop this year. Most farmers plant a few rows of "pig corn" on the outer edge of their fields so that if thieves grab a couple of ears they will get the pig corn and not the good stuff.

Along the road I passed by Queechee Gorge, and had to take a break from driving so I could take a walk and see the beauty of the gorge. The first picture is a shot straight down from the bridge so you can see the height. Some nearby teenagers dropped a large stick over the edge and it took a full five seconds to fall to the ground where it shattered into mulch. The second picture shows one side of the gorge and Queechee river going into the distance.


After I arrived at my hotel I met up with many rug hookers, and will show some rugs and more about the gathering in my next post. I drove around a bit to watch the sunset and take some pictures. This is from the parking lot of the hotel.
I came across another breed of cows that I have seen before. They have shaggy red coats and wonderful horns. I believe they are an English breed and if cows can be cute...they are!

The sun was setting so I headed to a high spot to get a few shots of the magnificent sunset. I didn't have to go far as these pictures were taken in the K-Mart parking lot!

I headed back to the hotel to unpack, and enjoyed a relaxing jacuzzi by the pool with some women from New Jersey who were visiting their sons at nearby Castleton College. It was a relaxing day and I looked forward to the hook-in the following day with anticipation.

7 comments:

WoolenSails said...

I haven't been to vermont in ages. Really wonderful shots of the scenery. Can't wait to see the rest.

Debbie

Joanne said...

BEautiful pics Lauri - How wonderful you got to go to the hook-in!

TamboinMO said...

I've never been to Vermont, but you are SO making me want to go!

ShabbySheep said...

Beautiful photos! Thank you for the tour.
Sheri

Jacque. said...

Lauri, I think you saw Scottish Highlander cows...they are dang cute! Love all the photos...absolutely gorgeous!

Kimichris said...

What a beautiful state!!

LadybugSue said...

OMG what beautiful photos. I enjoyed this. Hope to travel soon one day!