Sunday, May 30, 2010

Auction treasures

Last night I went to an auction and came home with some wonderful old hooked rugs. I will attach some pictures to this post. One is an amazing large rug almost 7' wide. I had to hang it on the side of the house to get a good picture. It is in very good shape considering the burlap backing is stressed from age and the size of this piece of art. It only has one edge that has about 8" chewed and the rest is still stable. The rug was finished by folding over the burlap and hooking through both layers. The colors on the front are similar to those on the back so there has only been a little fading or the kept the rug face down at some point to protect it. The exception is the aqua wool roving as seen in the second picture. On the back the true color is lime green! I will also add a couple of close up pictures.

I will contemplate donating that rug to the Nova Scotia Hooked Rug Museum as I think that's where it belongs. Another sweet rug has some damage and pulled loops, but I just love the way the lettering was hooked. My photo in the sunshine doesn't do justice to the pretty flowers. I believe I can closely match the loops that were pulled out and replace them, and then back it with linen. I can lay the rug on linen and then baste through the layers every inch or two so it will be secure to a new backing. It should hopefully prevent it from further damage for awhile. I also got some stair treads that are faded but have a certain charm. And a couple of other small rugs. I love the hit or miss one, and the simplicity of the others. Finsing hooked rugs at an auction in Maine is such a joy! Thanks for enjoying them with me!

5 comments:

WoolenSails said...

Very nice finds. I am thinking and planning on what to do next month, still not sure which way we are heading, but either NH or Maine.

Debbie

kelley said...

Jackpot! Love the stair treads...

Joanne said...

Cool finds Lauri

Kim said...

OMGosh!!! Awesome finds!!! Don't you love when that happens? Love them!

TamboinMO said...

How awesome is that?! LOVE the first one...the big one....really charming! Also loving the faded stair risers....rugs that have been used and loved have such a special charm to them.