Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Alfred Hook-in

Twice yearly there is a gathering of rug hookers in the small town of Alfred, Maine. This event began 25 years ago when Ethel Hills was inspired to bring a small group together for 3 days of making rugs, chatting, eating and lots of laughter. The lovely sheep rug above was hooked by Carolyn H. of New Hampshire.
I was negligent and didn't get the names of all the designers and makers in order to give them proper credit. But if you know that information please let me know and I'll update this post. I believe the following was being worked on by Barbara D. This shows only a small part of the design, which I believe is a Vermont Folk Rugs pattern.
There were artist trading cards, and although I don't need another project I signed up to participate in a swap. After all, they are small. Of course to conserve linen you really need to make at least four at a time! I am thinking of something with a sunflower, or perhaps fiddlehead ferns. But who knows...it might be a spinning wheel or hot air balloon! Embellishments and 3-D items are encouraged. These are mailed and traded with others and you can gather quite a collection!
I loved this interpretation of one of Deanne Fitzpatrick's patterns. You may be able to get a closer look by clicking on the photos to enlarge them. Check out the eyelash yarn on the dress, as well as all the details including the fancy shoes! I believe Sandra Porter was finishing this off during the weekend. Fabulous ladies Sandra! Diane and I will be taking Deanne's "Big Boned Girls" workshop in September and this rug heightened my anticipation of the class and trip!
These are my favorite colors all together. I wish I could remember who was working on it!
This village rug was designed and hooked by Pam Bartlett of New Hampshire.
I wanted you to see the beautiful detail and colors of the corners with the fish and rowboat.
The details on many mats were very well done. I examined this binding and it was about as perfect as you can get. I like the three rows of alternating loops on the border.
Aren't these roses beautiful? They are framed to hang on a wall.
The colors in the next rug were fabulous! It was hooked by Lisa Larrabee I believe.
Pam A. was working towards her McGown certification with this Jane McGown Flynn pattern that she was given. Her contrast is great and I love the mouse!
These hydrangeas were being worked on by Betty Evans. It is a Jane McGown Flynn/ Charco pattern.
This magnificent peacock was being hooked by Karen B. of Maine. She was using some sparkly threads that made the perfect accent.
I couldn't stop looking at this next rug. Every time I thought I had seen the details I would notice something new. It is a family story rug made by Sandra Porter. It has taken several years to make and is magnificent. Remember that you should be able to enlarge the pictures. Here is one part of the large rug:
And another:
And another part:
And here is the rug on the floor with Sandra (blue shirt) explaining how the rug changed as she went along. She added grandchildren and pets and many details. I love it!
This lovely example is progressing quite nicely. It is quite large!
The next rug is designed and hooked by Lynda Hadlock. This rug of our solar system must have taken an incredible amount of time to design while thinking about the sizes of the planets, where they would go on the rug and then the color planning. Hopefully I will see it completed at the Fall hook-in.
This comical rug was completed by Victor. It is a fun rug, and I believe it was hooked with wool yarn. He typically uses yarn for all his rugs and is a prolific hooker and makes most of his own designs.
Usually the "hookers" are the only ones utilizing the buildings during the retreat. But this time there was a gathering of rug braiders at the building next to us. They came over and checked out our rugs, and we went over and checked out their rugs! Here is a shot of a braid being sewn onto a rug:
And here is the actual braiding:
And just like rug hookers, they lay their rugs out on the floor to show off their skill and receive accolades from their peers. I loved the rug in the foreground in shades of purple made by Barbara Broadbent. Notice the five row edge...not easy to do at all! The shapes and colors were wonderful and I hope they share the compound with us again. 
It was a great weekend full of friendship, chatting and food. Life is good, isn't it?

3 comments:

WoolenSails said...

WOW! What gorgeous rugs and designs.
I love the lighthouse and boat one and the room rug, wonderful artwork. I wanted to do one like that with scenes around the edge and a basic design in the middle, maybe someday;) Would have loved to see the braiding too.

Debbie

Primitives By The Light of The Moon said...

AWESOME rugs...thanks for sharing.

Alice ~ Folk Art Primitives said...

Great pictures ~ I love to see what other hookers are doing! And how lucky to have a group of braiders close by ~ sounds like a great time was had by all!