Saturday, March 20, 2010

Spindling and Gripping Yarn

I find that I wander while on the vast internet. Do you? My quest might begin with the search for some wool, and through a blog or website I will click on a link to another spot that interests me. From there I will meander and discover other interesting sites and people.
That happened when I was looking for information about supported spindles for spinning yarn. I came across the blog of Lisa called "Gripping Yarn". I wrote to her to ask a few questions about some spindles she showed on her blog. I found that she makes her spindles, and I ended up placing an order for two of them. I asked her to take some photos so I could see how they were made and share with all of you.
This wood is called red heart, and I chose this because of it's rich natural color. Lisa starts with a rough blank and begins carving as her machine spins the blank. Here are some of her tools. I store my garden tools this way with a little motor oil in the sand to prevent rust.
She tools it to a smooth dowel so she can begin shaping it to the piece she wants.

Obviously this isn't an indoor job, and shavings go everywhere! But aren't they a beautiful color?


She crafted another supported spindle for me made of bocote wood. I love wood, and bocote is a prize for me because of the strong graining lines.


I enjoy seeing how a craftsman can form a smooth and delicate shape from a rough chunk of wood.

After she creates the spindles on her lathe, she sands them amazingly smooth with 12000 grit paper. Then she hand rubs them with oil and gives them a light beeswax polish. There is a lot of work involved and it is obvious that she enjoys creating them.
Thank you Lisa for sharing your photos with me so I have a better understanding of what was involved in making my spindles and the safety equipment you are wise to wear with all the splinters and dust flying around! You are beautiful!
My task ahead is to work with my supported spindles more. I met up with Barbara Clorite-Ventura on the NETA group and just purchased her DVD "Spindles Around the World". With that as my guide along with some YouTube videos I have been able to spin some yarn on my spindles, and will consider this to be my "Learn something new" project for this year. That mantra is my New Year's resolution each year, and I think supported spindling will work quite nicely as a skill to learn and improve.

3 comments:

WoolenSails said...

What a beautiful spindle she made for you. I do appreciate woodworking skills and the beauty of natural woods.

Debbie

Ter'e said...

What a grand art form! I always love hearing "the rest of the story".

Now I'd like to see what you do with these beauties!

Hooked on Primitives said...

Well now isn't that something!! We all know the satisfaction of doing it on our own from "scratch." WOW! So do you like spinning?? I recently gave it a "whorl" myself...lol.FUN!! Working on a scarf, maybe next winter I can use it.lol..Thanks for sharing!!