Sunday, October 11, 2009

Peaceful motivation

An abundance of warm thoughts go out to all of you who left a comment on my last post and sent me many, many personal messages on my e-mail. One of many quotes that were sent to me seemed very applicable. "The babbling brook would lose it's song if you removed the rocks". Our river of life often hits some rough spots but with the help of our fellow river droplets we keep going through the turbulence to a smoother eddy. Thank you!

A photo of the "Ark Project" is included in this post. Mary Shephard Burton had a dream many years ago of completing a large Noah's Ark made of three dimensional hooked pieces. With the strong motivation of her aid Leonard Feenan and a lot of rug hookers from around the globe...the ark is complete! It was premiered at the recent TIGR and ATHA conventions in Louisville Kentucky. I believe the base is over 6' long, and beautifully hooked on all sides. Each two sided animal was hooked by a different artist and sewn together and stuffed. Beginner and experienced ruggers took part so each animal has a distinct personality. Leonard is the talented artist who drew the patterns. I made the kangaroo and am honored to have been a small part of this collaborative effort.

I have joined the Ten Minute Rug Challenge and find that if I pick up my rug hook I will work for more than 10 minutes. I have been working on my "old Glory" rug again, and have started using a variety of overdyed recycled wools for the border. Although it is curled a bit from my frame I think that they will look nice for a wavy border. I still intend to change the "square" neck feathers and a few other things, but for now I am just trying to make some progress...even if only for a little of each day. I am finding I am in a cocooning mode right now and rug hooking helps me to process things about my life. I have given myself permission to peacefully motivate on my crafts at home instead of being busy socially and with the other things I am usually involved with.

I will be attending the New York Sheep and Wool Festival later this week. http://sheepandwool.com/  I have signed up for two classes. One is a long draw spinning class with Janel Laidman, and the other is a rug hooking class about colors taught by Sue Charbonneau. I am looking forward to the drive to the show, as the foliage colors here are peak and it will be beautiful.

I worked a bit more on the shirred mat and it is about 8" across. I intend to keep expanding it until it is large enough for a chair pad. The mat is made up of 1/2" wide strips of wool that are sewn together with thread in a way that the stitches are invisible and the mat is secure. I enjoy making the little rolls and do not know where this design is going to go. But that is what makes it enjoyable. I will leave you today with a few pictures I have taken. The little chipmunk was hanging around on the stone wall as I drove out of the driveway and posed for me. Enjoy your day my friends!


4 comments:

WoolenSails said...

All I can say is wow, that ark is beautiful!
I had heard about it, but didn't realize it was like that.

I finally finished my runner, next I should finish my fraktur rug. Today I am vegging out and working on no thinking projects;)

Debbie

ShabbySheep said...

Beautiful pictures on this post. And I'm really liking the shirred chair mat. Are you just making it up as you go?

LadybugSue said...

Great looking Kangaroo and the Ark is beautiful. I love reading your blog. I try to post more, this week is really SPECIAL. come by for a look-see!!
http://ladybugdesignsbysue.blogspot.com/

BeFRuiTFuL KReaTioNS said...

It is so wonderful see see the finished ark. I to am honored to have been a part of this project!!!