Saturday, June 20, 2009

Playing with raw wool...


I have been busy with wool as usual. I finished my bee skep and it turned out cute. I'm glad I chose to weight it with a stone inside wrapped with strips of a sheet surrounded by fiberfill. It feels plump and solid.I purchased a raw fleece awhile back because I knew I wanted to seriously try spinning this summer. I love my rug hooking, but it gets too hot to sit with a rug on your lap. I washed the wool, which was a bit of a challenge for me as you cannot agitate it or it will felt. Here are some of the billowy puffs drying in the sun. I ended up with 7 full big baskets from one fleece.I returned to the home that had had the wool yard sale, and purchased their drum carder. I have never used one, so I searched the internet and found some wonderful spinners with blogs full of information. My house needs dusting and cleaning, but this is more fun!I had some silver gray angora...very soft. I dyed some of the wool with a light wash of silver gray and blue to get close to the color. The angora is on the right.After the fiber was dry I carded them together, and made my first batt! This picture doesn't do justice to the color, which is a soft gray that has sparkles of white and blue. I was amazed at how a batt grows and expands when you take it off the drum carder. I have spun two batts of this and am getting better at spinning. It is still lumpy bumpy and uneven so I will not show it to you yet, but it is sooooo soft! I believe they call it designer yarn when it has such an uneven texture? I will ply my singles together and see how they turn out. Today I dyed more of the wool. I was pleased that even after washing and dying the wool it still had it's nice crimp. This is obviously the red batch. Since you cannot move or agitate the fiber when it is wet the dye is uneven. But I believe this will spin into a pretty yarn. Perhaps a scarf or a pair of mittens? I am often inspired by nature, and in looking at my gardens I found my peonies and lupine blooming.Ane here is the wool that I dyed while attempting to match the pretty colors of the flowers. I made this by putting wet fiber in a pot, then poured the dye over it in 1/3 segments. I used Cushings plum, royal blue and red grape. I didn't touch the wool, but then simmered it covered for 1/2 hour with vinegar and let it cool down all day before moving it. I love it!
Tomorrow I will get some housekeeping done, but have planned a few hours to practice my spinning. I will also pull out a hooked rug that has been hidden away and begin to work on it again. After all, even in the heat of summer you need to have something on your frame! May your coming week be full of fiber and creativity!

8 comments:

WoolenSails said...

That looks like fun and so fluffy. Wish I was up there with you, looks like rain through monday, errr. I am tempted to jump in the car this week and head up;)

Debbie

Alice ~ Folk Art Primitives said...

Looks like you're doing a great job with the fleece dying! I bought a fleece this spring and haven't gotten to it just yet!! Now I'm anxious, after looking at your results!!

TamboinMO said...

Wow! How exciting....don't you just love starting a new journey! Love the dyeing you did!

Sheri said...

You don't even need to make anything with it!!! Just leave them in the baskets-just beautiful.

lej619 said...

your skip is awesome!! and your fleece are really pretty

Jacque. said...

WOW! I am impressed! Looks like a lot of work, but so gratifying! Beautiful colors.

Ter'e said...

Ahhhhhhhh Lauri...............how nice it was to drop by your blog and see all your beautiful fleece!!! Between the flowers and the fleece, it was a few moments of just SOLID PEACE.........thank you so much for sharing.

戴佩妮Penny said...

That's actually really cool!亂倫,戀愛ING,免費視訊聊天,視訊聊天,成人短片,美女交友,美女遊戲,18禁,
三級片,後宮電影院,85cc,免費影片,線上遊戲,色情遊戲,日本a片,美女,成人圖片區,avdvd,色情遊戲,情色貼圖,女優,偷拍,情色視訊,愛情小說,85cc成人片,成人貼圖站,成人論壇,080聊天室,080苗栗人聊天室,免費a片,視訊美女,視訊做愛,免費視訊,伊莉討論區,sogo論壇,台灣論壇,plus論壇,維克斯論壇,情色論壇,性感影片,正妹,走光,色遊戲,情色自拍,kk俱樂部,好玩遊戲,免費遊戲,貼圖區,好玩遊戲區,中部人聊天室,情色視訊聊天室,聊天室ut,成人遊戲,免費成人影片,成人光碟,情色遊戲,情色a片,情色網,成人圖片區