Saturday, January 31, 2009

Kindred Spirits in Eliot, Maine

My journey into the realm of rug hooking began several years ago. My friend and I happened upon the Green Mountain Guild rug show in Shelburne Vermont quite by accident. What I saw in that round barn excited some creative spark in my soul that I hadn't known existed. Since then I have spent many hours each week exploring the history of rugs, gathering mentors, learning and exploring, dyeing wool, sketching, creating designs and actually making a few mats and rugs. You should be able to click on any of the photographs in my blog to have a more detailed view.
A large part of the small rug hooking world is the social aspect. It is a craft that is easily done in your own home alone, but when a local gathering (known fondly as "hook-in's) is suggested the eyes of a rug hooker light up. That is where they can gather and have communion with the wool and soulmates who share their pleasure of creating art from threads of fabric.



Today I attended the 25th anniversary of the Eliot, Maine hook-in. It is held in a lovely church that has a large meeting room and kitchen. There were a few vendors, raffles and a wonderful lunch. I had met some attendees before at Tin Pedlars meetings or in Shelburne. Today was special as I met several women whom I have had internet communications with on groups or through this blog. Instant friendship as we had that common thread...wool and a love of rug hooking. Many of you have told me that you enjoy my photographs, so I took many to share. Thanks to all who allowed me to photograph their rugs in process and share with my blog friends. I have not placed names with rugs for I did not know them all, and these pictures are only for the visual pleasure.




The following floral rug was made using the plaids from a Pendleton shirt. The outer rosebuds are made with one shade of stripe, and the inner roses with other shades. The basket was created with yet another stripe that was cut and hooked in the same order as the original strips from the shirt. The beauty of this floral rug just curls my toes. It is an immense project in a 3 & 4 cut, and she is doing beautiful shading.


Recently on the internet group "The Welcome Mat", Wanda Kerr has had a lesson on "Glow" and how to achieve it in your rugs. I saw glow in this sunflower and got to excited I forgot to focus!





The above cat rug is the makers first rug. It was adapted from a photograph in an antique book. I love the pleased look on the cats face! She's doing a great job!
The rug above was adapted from an old "Victory Garden" marketing campaign in the 1940's.
I know my buddies are checking to see that the following picture was put into my blog. But I cropped out my friends faces! Sorry ladies...it's all about the rugs! I love the mermaids tail and can't wait to see more progress. I'd love to post it and interview the maker for my blog when it's completed!
This pooch is being done with a 9 cut and the picture doesn't do justice to the shading of his face.
The woman who made the proddy bag is Rose Ann Hunter. She creates amazing works of art using the old techniques and I will show more of her work with shirring and proddy in another post. She also made the following rug with a knitted thread assembly. Plush and beautiful!
I will be leaving in the wee hours of the morning for a long overdue visit to see my Dad and family in South Carolina. I am looking forward to their "chilly" sixty degree weather...and grass. I haven't seen grass since mid-November. My better half will keep the home fires burning (our woodstove) and care for our pets while I am away. Perhaps when I return I will take the time to remove the Christmas background from this blog, and be a bit more attentive to it. I found out today...people are watching!

13 comments:

WoolenSails said...

Miz,
What a wonderful display of rugs. Your group has such a diverse and talented bunch of ladies. Have a safe trip and I hope you enjoy your time with your family.

Debbie

TamboinMO said...

Thanks for the eye candy! You know that is what all of us hookers live for!

Joanne said...

Lauri

Sounds like you had a great time - thanks or sharing the photo's - love the "rug show"

joanne

Sheri said...

I am speechless!!! I had to go grab another cup of coffee and study these rugs! I think my fav. is the sunflower "glow" and the proddy purse. Thanks for sharing these wonderful works of art with us!

JoJo said...

Lauri, the pictures of all of the rugs.....beautiful! Such eye candy to drool over. Have a safe trip and a great visit with your family.

Jacque said...

Ohman, Lauri...thank you so much for sharing those photos! LOVE looking at them!

Alice ~ Folk Art Primitives said...

Lucky Girl! Those pictures are really great ~ you are indeed lucky to be able to hang out with all those talented hookers!! Thanks a bunch and safe trip to you!
Alice

katie said...

Oh my I have so enjoyed seeing all the rugs today. What great visual candy. They are all just beautiful and so much talent. I will be watching.
Enjoy your trip, family is what it is all about
katie

deedeetan said...

Laurie,
Actually, I appreciate you cropping my head off. And I am sure Theresa does too! LOL. Had great time talking and getting to know you better. Diane

Rosie said...

WOW, aren't they fantastic! rug hooking is something I am about to embark on. The whole thing fascinates me.
Hope you are having a nice trip to see your dad.
Rosie

Hooked on Primitives said...

Oh MY!! What artwork you have displayed here!! Takes my breath away beautiful! Many Thanks for sharing!

Erin said...

oh what a gorgeous group of rugs..what talent! I love all of them..the cat that is the first one for the rug hooker, the antique repro she is doing, amazing...I am doing a cat and keep trying and trying...nothing like what is here! Now I just have to stay in touch with this group, and you! Inspiring!!! I am going to get it back out and try again!!

warmwoolies said...

Hi Threadsofmiz,
I, too, was at the Eliot hook-in and enjoyed talking with you. I just wanted your readers to know that the first photo you posted here is being hooked by a woman in her 90's. She only hooks in a 3 cut and produces one mat after the other. She is a delightful woman with graceful, elegant hooking motions. She's been hooking for over 60 years and is an inspiration to many of us. If we all could be so blessed!