Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Resolutions...


It is time. The time of year when many of us are thinking of next year, and of what our New Year's resolution will be. The promise that we will make to ourselves and try to keep. Something that will enhance our lives. Do you have one yet? Were you able to keep the one that you made last year? The year before that? Do you remember those resolutions? I thought I would share my New Years resolution with you. I have had the same resolution since I was a teenager...more than 30 years. And I have kept it every year. Curious? It is very simple. Each year I resolve to learn one new thing and make the effort to learn as much as I can about it during the year. For most of the years I have chosen to focus on a new craft. That is what I like to do...make things...be creative...experiment. For you it might be about books, or history, or the computer or even sports. You are free to choose anything you want to learn about. You don't have to select your topic at the beginning of the year. Many years I have not seen the spark of what I wanted to learn until the middle of the summer. But I still had time to focus on my choice and learn. I can often find a class on something interesting at evening adult education classes, or even on the internet or through a book. Often my friends have taught me something that they know...and are pleased at my interest in their activities.

Over the years I have tried things and enjoyed them. I chose to pursue them and continue learning about them now. Knitting, quilting, making penny rugs, applique, woodworking, making baskets, rug hooking and dying wool are all things that I resolved to learn about and continue to enjoy.

Other things I have tried but either wasn't very good at them or just stopped doing them to pursue other things. But I still have that knowledge. Cross stitch, needlepoint, latch hook, pottery, playing guitar, woodburning, needlefelting, punchneedle. Those lessons have fallen by the wayside, but at any time I could still pick them up. And sometimes I do!
Photography was one of the first things that I resolved to learn, and continue to enjoy (as you can tell by all the pictures that I take!). I did not have to spend a lot of time on it...just the basics. I cannot develop film and am not adept at changing the aperature on a camera. But I can compose a simple shot that will capture my image. I learned about lighting and shadows. I read about numerous photographers and feel I can carry on a semi-knowledgable conversation about the subject. This past year I learned about spinning. I am not very good at it!!! But I have leaned about ratios and types of fiber and breeds of sheep from Romneys to Corriedale to Lincolns. I know how to put together a spinning wheel and can name all the parts. I need to practice, and perhaps someday I will be adept at spinning. But for now I can say that in the past year I have learned something and have kept my resolution from last year.Again this year my New Years resolution will be to learn something. I don't know what it will be...that's in my future. Perhaps it will be to learn more about designing. I love to build and create, and there is a lot to learn on that subject. It would also work nicely with the things I already like to do. Last year this silly mat design came about from a Challenge called "New Life". I fondly call it the Sperm Mat (what was I thinking!?!). I learned to design a tongue penny rug in an internet group, and find relaxing pleasure in playing with circles of wool to make penny rugs. I designed a pattern for a class but the hooked rug is still "in progress". I like to design but find it intimidating. There is a lot to learn about creating a good design.
Perhaps what I choose to learn will go off in another direction entirely. One year I learned all about MS because of some friends who were diagnosed at the same time. Another year I learned about cancer...more than I wanted to know. It can be about anything. But I can tell you this. At the end of your year when you are looking back, it feels good to be able to say that you have learned a lot about one particular thing. And you have kept your New Years resolution...once again. I hope the coming year brings you Gods blessings, good health, and daily hugs. Happy New Year everyone!!!

10 comments:

theoldestonehouse said...

Laurie
What wondeful thoughts. I tell my girls all the time a day where I didn't learn anything is a wasted day. There's so much out there to experience. We shall compare notes next Dec 30th and see how we did in 2009. Thanks for the great idea.
Have a blessed New Year.
Rhonda

Kathy (woolfind) said...

Wonderful idea Laurie, love it! I get excited when I learn something new just in conversations. Never looked at it your way about the crafts, etc. Will keep my eyes and ears open to experience something new this coming year!

Cary said...

Now there's a resolution that I like! I can't wait to see what you learn in the coming year. I wrote about my resolution today. Stop by and let me know what you think!

WoolenSails said...

Lauri,
I love your philosophy and your works, I think your love of creating, shows in your work. I plan on a no stress year and enjoying the act of creating with no deadlines or worries about what to make, just do it for the sake of creating.

Debbie

Primitives By The Light of The Moon said...

What a great thought. I think I will add that to my list. Not sure what it will be just yet but I'm sure it's waiting for me!
May you have a Blessed and Happy New Year!!!
:)Ginger

June said...

What a great way to start a New Year! I do believe I will join you on your new year resolution! Love the pictures on your site, and I'm so glad you've learned about knitting and spinning! :)

Kathy (woolfind) said...

Laurie, tried to find an email for you, but couldn't. Just have to say after reading your response about the "hoagies" on my blog, that I was born and raised in NJ LOL. And you are right, there is no place like NJ for a good hoagie! Any other place just doesn't compare. Same goes for a good bagel and a good bakery LOL.
Happy New Year to you too!

Rosie said...

Hi Lauri,

Thanks for checking up on me, that was very kind of you. I am so pleased that 2009 has now started. I have taken my cue from you and have resolved to learn something new this year, not quite sure what yet, but that is a great resolution to have, it does make it so much better that you don't have to start on Jan 1.
I love the dark squares with the pink hearts on them, is that wool? Do you buy that as it comes or do you recycle? It would be very hard to buy wool like that here. I quite fancy making one of these penny rugs, they all look so wonderful.
Have a wonderful warm and loving new year to you and your family.
Rosie

Miz T. said...

Rosie, The black blocks with pink hearts is a cotton quilt UFO. It was a kit purchased long ago made by Shades Textiles (Stacey Miller) in Marietta, Georgia. It would make a beautiful wool quilt...but I hadn't discovered wool back when I bought it. As for making a penny rug...just jump in and do it! They are much easier than you think!
Lauri

Jacque said...

Hey Laurie...great post...inspirational and motivating! I am sure I will learn something new this year...and I even had an idea drop into my lap today. WOW. Great photos, as always. Loved seeing all of what you have learned to do. And, I, for one, LOVE your sperm mat! hahaha! It still cracks me up...you have a truly creative mind! Happy New Year!