Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Silent night...

Christmas will be here in a few hours and it is a quiet and peaceful night in the North East. At our home the holidays are usually quiet, as we enjoy spending the day at home and letting people come to us if they wish. Our door is always open. Dick's son and two of our grandaughters will spend the afternoon with us and enjoy a hearty dinner. With our friends and family...Christmas lasts until Valentines Day. We will see the other two grandaughters in January, and I will visit my family in S.C. in January also. Whenever our friends show up or we see them, we will celebrate and exchange gifts. It really relieves a lot of stress for everyone to not be expected to have everything perfect on one day. After all, we should treat every day as a gift from God and as a holiday in it's own right. This past week I received several packages in the mail. One was a large box from Ginger. She awarded a gift to someone who had visited her blog, and I was the lucky winner! The box was full of a generous variety of items as you can see in the picture. Thank you SO much Ginger...you gave me a huge smile as I opened everything! Of course I encourage everyone reading this to check out Ginger's blog, as well as the other blogs that I have on my list. Here is Ginger's entertaining blog about her farm and crafts: http://primitivesbythelightofthemoon.blogspot.com/
There are some very talented fiber artists on my list so please visit them! I also received a totally unexpected package from my friend Lynn in Australia. It contained a calendar with beautiful aboriginal artwork. I love the way the calendar is set up with plenty of room to write appointments. She also sent a sweet stitchery pattern of girlfriends doing their crafts over tea. It would make a perfect punchneedle piece and is already on the backing. Thank you Lynn!
Dud to all the wintery weather we have had lately, I did minimal decorating this year. I pulled out my Santa collection, but instead of grouping them I spread them out around the house. My blue goose is out year round, but I added a penny tree that was made by my internet friend Delores and given to me as a swap. I added another Santa and the twiggy star that I made years ago.
This wool stocking is one of my favorites and was made by Cee up in Nova Scotia. She has an incredible talent for taking bits of old blankets and recycled wool and creating penny mats that look as if they were made a hundred years ago. Even her threads are often vintage or recycled from linen or monks cloth. http://www.earlystylepennyrugs.com/index.html
As I have said before we live in a small home built in the 1760's. The entire center of the home is the brick structure for the chimney. We have a small fireplace on the kitchen side, one on the living room side, and a woodstove on the third side. Our stairway is on the fourth side and as you can see it has no risers. This picture was taken from the corner where I do my crafting. Our home is one room downstairs (except for the bathroom) and one room upstairs with the brick structure in the center. Our ceilings are 6'7" at their highest point. They are all hand hewn beams except for the white ceiling you might be able to see to the left of the picture. Many years ago the previous owners had a fire escape from their woodstove. One of the local firefighters said our home was the only home they had ever saved!Here is one of the strange vintage items that I found, framed and hung on the wall.
I loved all your comments about the ice storm pictures. Shortly after we got our power back last week we had a snowstorm, about 6". Then last Sunday we got 18" of snow. So there is plenty of snow on the ground (and everything else) and it will be a beautiful white Christmas. I hope that you all stay safe and warm surrounded by your families tomorrow, and enjoy the love. I'll end today with a picture of part of our backyard.

8 comments:

Primitives By The Light of The Moon said...

Wishing you the merriest of Christmas' and may you stay warm and cozy in your wonderful home!
:)Ginger

Joanne said...

Merry Christmas to you and your family Lauri - Your house is wonderful - love all your pics ! just think - you will be in that warm Carribean before you know it! Wish I was going this year!

Miz T. said...

Alas Joanne...I will not be going on the trip. Finances prevented me from going, as there are higher priorities than going on a trip. I need to go visit my Dad instead. But at the end of January I know I will feel very sad about not being in the warmth and blue waters of the islands! Perhaps next year!?! Merry Christmas my friend!

WoolenSails said...

Your home looks so warm and cozy. Love old homes and the unique details. I hope you have a wonderful day tomorrow.

Debbie

Rosie said...

Lauri, what a beautiful home you have, it looks so wonderfully cozy and comforting. Looking forward to getting to know you more in 2009.
Have a wonderful Christmas.
Rosie

Jacque said...

Hey Lauri.

Always love your photos...and missed commenting on the ice storm...and now you have so much snow! Those photos were just awesome...as is your house! Have a Blessed Christmas.

JoJo said...

Lauri, a belated Merry Christmas to you and yours! I loved seeing the pictures of your home and your decorating. My MIL/FIL lived in an old 3 story Captain's house in Bucksport for many years. Shortly before he died, the house was sold because it would have been too much for my MIL to take care of. I was never very fond of their house but your home shows warmth and love. And no price can be put on that.

We do watch the weather in Maine from the Geddy cam in Bar Harbor and the bridge cam near Bucksport. We had a gentle snowfall Christmas Eve morning but today our temp is 65, a new record for us, and of course, it's taken all of the snow away. But since our outside lights stopped working Christmas Eve night, it's been perfect weather for my husband to go out and take the lights down before we get into the ice and snow forecasted for tomorrow. Believe it or not, I've got all of the windows open and the whole house fan on. Ya just gotta love Kansas weather!

Kimichris said...

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year! Love your pictures of your home! I am trying to take better pictures and more of them. I think I need a new camera! That's my excuse and I'm sticking to it. Your pictures are inspiring in a few ways...creating those lovely settings and penny rugs...crafting and your laid back attitude! You're right...it's a season of sharing..not the one day!
We'll have Christmas morning take 2 when John returns between January 1 and th 5th..so stay tuned!

Give our best to Dick and give ole bruty a scratch from us and a cuddle to the kitty!!
warm hugs!!
Kim