Tuesday, December 2, 2008

A day of favorite things...

" Life isn't about finding yourself...
It's about creating yourself." (George Bernard Shaw)

No one else on earth is like you. No one thinks like you do, or has dreams like your dreams or has exactly the same abilities. No matter who you are you will leave a unique mark on the world. I do not consider myself to be a talented person. Yet some say that I am. I feel that I have had some wonderful people who have influenced me in my life, and taught me, and I have taken their talents and tried to mimic them. Of course you cannot absorb the talent of another person. In pursuing their talent you end up finding a bit of your own self that hadn't been discovered. We all have hidden talents that are just waiting for someone to show to us.

Today I spent doing things that I like to do...and realized that I was doing things that had been influenced by other people. I cleaned and re-arranged an area upstairs and made a nice little vignette with some of the items I have collected. That made me think of the many influences I have gotten from shops, on websites and blogs that encouraged me to put things together in my own unique way. I always say the style of our house is 'Early Yard Sale". The deer antlers in the picture...I am seriously thinking about making a couple of proddy tools from them. I think they would work great! They are "drops" that are commonly found in the woods here.
I also worked on some presents for some friends. While hooking them I thought of my friend Mo and the day I discovered a rug hooking show in Vermont with her by accident. It's amazing how you can turn in a driveway and it can change many aspects of your life. I am enjoying making these little coasters as they have no pattern and are easy. I have 3 more to make (6 total), and each friend will get two with a pair of mugs full of her favorite beverages. The log cabin style block will go on a little suitcase for a swap friend to store her craft supplies. I should be able to get the binding done later this week in one night if I sit still!
I'm also working on a large knit bag that will be fulled. While knitting I thought of the roomate I had 28 years ago who taught me to knit. She was a huge influence and I was addicted to knitting for a long time because of attempting to mimic her skill. I wonder what ever happened to her? I am using random balls of 100% wool yarn that I have collected over the years and knitting it up on large needles (10) so it's working up quickly. I will full it by washing it in hot, then cold water and drying it in a hot dryer so it gets nice and thick. I plan to blanket stitch some concentric penny circles on it before I sew it together. If the sides are too soft I will stitch in some plastic canvas for support, and then put in a cotton lining to conceal the plastic canvas. The stripes will be vertical on the finished bag. Yet another Christmas present in process!!!
This evening I'll give my hands a rest and work on painting my Santa's. For many years I have purchased a pecan shell Santa at a flea market in South Carolina when I visit my family. They are large (12"-15") and take awhile to paint because there are a lot of small and detailed areas on each one. I completed the one on the left last year but didn't get around to antiquing it. I'm obviously still painting on the one on the right, and will antique them both together to add to my collection. I just love old looking Santa's. Once I get my decorations out I'll put up a few pictures for you to see. But for today I'm just relaxing, working on my projects, and thinking about some of the people who have influenced me over the years and helped me towards creating my own style. It's a very good day.

11 comments:

theoldestonehouse said...

Hey girl
Glad to see your post. Makes me say thanks to some people in my life that have greatly influenced my work. Glad you got to do some fun things you like to do today.

Rhonda

katie said...

I love the shades of blue and gold/yellow you used in your rug. It has a very old feel to it. Nice work.
katie
primitivewoolen.typepad.com

WoolenSails said...

Your projects are wonderful, love the shades you are using. I think you have me beat on the amount of projects going at one time;)

Love the santas. I did that years ago, have one I painted and one I carved.

Debbie

craftingaplenty said...

Hey mizt, I loved the Sanata's. I am in Columbia s.c. working right now. I hope to get to go to a flea market sunday, maybe I can find some Santa,s. You do inspire me so very much, so I give thanks for your friendship'
loretta

Joanne said...

Love the projects Lauri - when will we see an update to your camp rug????? joanne

Nellie said...

I love your thoughts of how people have influenced your creative processes. I was thinking the other day about my 6th grade teacher who taught me how to crochet. I made a vest out of wool yarn and then my Mom washed and dried it. Oops! Over school vacation I crocheted another and surprised my teacher upon returning. While I don't crochet much anymore, that experience of learning something and then trying it out on my own with good results has been a real confidence builder in my life, in crafting and many other areas. Thanks for sharing. Check out my blog. It is about west coast rug hookers.
Thanks again,
LisaE (aka Nellie)

Jacque said...

I love this post of the influences in your life. It amazes me how we all come to where we are in life's journey. Also, am loving all of your projects...you go, girl!

Angelina's Trinkets said...

What a wonderful post. I really enjoyed reading through it from top to bottom. Love all your creations too.

Thank you for posting at the Great Christmas Giveaway and for adding a link here at your site.

Blessings,
Angelina

Primitives By The Light of The Moon said...

Miz~ I have enjoyed stopping by your neck of the woods. Just wanted to put a lil' smile on your face and tell you your the winner of My Favorite things!
:)Ginger

Kathy (woolfind) said...

Love your blog Miz. Just found it from visiting Ginger's. I've added you to mine and look forward to seeing what new things you come up with. Your projects are wonderful!! And you put it beautifully how we are all inspired by others, but we all have our own style.

Sharon/primthyme said...

Hi Lauri,
Love the pics & belated Merry Christmas to you also !
Prim Hugs,
Sharon