Saturday, November 22, 2008

Pawprints on my Heart...


Many years ago I was tasked to bring a donation of pet food to a local shelter. While there, a small cat spotted me and her eyes demanded that I be attentive to her. Her purr caught my ears...it was as loud as a lawnmower. To make a long story short...I brought her home and she became Tiggy Kat. She acted more like a dog than a cat and would follow me as I went about my daily tasks. Always curious, she would check out anything new and could sense any new object in the house. Within a short time she would be taking a nap on the object. She has had an amazing way of getting into high places, and liked to sleep on top of our refrigerator. She thought our barn was her private playspace and she would explore for hours looking for mice, chipmunks, bats and even a skunk or two.
I always liked her facial markings and she liked to pose to have her picture taken. Last Christmas she found my newly hooked mat within minutes and checked it out for a napping space. In the Spring she became ill and stopped eating, and I thought I would lose her. But after visits to the vet and several weeks of attentive care she was back to her usual self. I even learned to give a cat an IV, which can be quite a challenge but she seemed to know I was trying to help her. She became strong again and has had a great time this summer exploring our acres of land and climbing trees and our stone wall. Her amazing purr could always be heard no matter what she was doing.
As the cold weather has set in she has become weaker and weaker, and for the past few days I knew the end was near for her. She has spent many hours snuggling in my arms, and lost her purr because she was so weak with age. She headed for the Rainbow Bridge while curled in my lap as I read. She was twenty one years old. She was quite a lady, and an honorable cat who lived a very good life. I'll miss you terribly Tiggs...and I'll see you someday on the other side of the Rainbow bridge. I know you'll be there waiting for me.


14 comments:

Trudy said...

Oh Lauri,
I am so very sad for you, what a beautiful cat she was. You obviously made her happy as she did you, for her to live such a long life. I am so glad that you got to spend her last hours with her in your arms, that is so great.
Big soft hugs to you Lauri,
Trudy

Kimichris said...

Lauri, I'm so sorry about the loss of your kitty! She was such a lovely, lady like kitty that had such presence! I know she had such a wonderful life with you and shared with you a great deal. big hugs...kim

JoJo said...

Lauri, I'm crying for you because we lost our Cricket to lymphoma in September. Losing a furry member of the family is so had to cope with. I'm glad Tiggs was able to head for The Bridge while nestled in your arms. Such a loving embrace she had as she passed from your arms into God's. She was a lovely lady with a long, dignified life. Whisker kisses to you and your family.

Jacque said...

Ohmygosh, Lauri. I am so sorry. What an elegant tribute you posted for all to read...to know her. 21 years...WOW! You were very good to her and she was fortunate to have you. What a comfort for her to have you holding her as she drew her last breath. God love you.

Joanne said...

Lauri - I am so sorry about your loss of Tiggy Kat - She was a beautiful lady for sure - and as you said she will forever leave her pawprints on your heart and now on all of ours who have read about her wonderful life!

Hugs to you and your family - joanne

WoolenSails said...

Lauri,
I am so sorry to hear that Tiggy has gone, I truly understand how hard it is to lose a pet that means so much in our lives.

Hugs
Debbie

Miz T. said...

They will not go quietly,
the cats who've shared our lives.
In subtle ways they let us know
their spirit still survives.
Old habits still make us think
we hear a meow at the door.
Or step back when we drop
a tasty morsel on the floor.
Our feet still go around the place
the food dish used to be,
And, sometimes, coming home at night, we miss them terribly.
And although time may bring new friends and a new food dish to fill,
That one place in our hearts
belongs to them. . . and always will.

Thank you all for your warm words. I know many of you have felt what I am feeling now. Thank you SO much for your friendship and love.
Hugs to all,
Lauri

craftingaplenty said...

Oh Lauri, I am so sorry. I know the hurt and pain and sorow. I had to put my dog Dixie down after 7 years becausse of cancer.I know it helped getting to hold her as she made her way to the angles. It sure helped me. Once again I am truly sorry. loretta

MM said...

I am sorry for your loss. What a wonderful relationship with your beautiful cat....blessings to you.

Hooked on Primitives said...

Lauri, I am truly so very sorry for your loss! She had such a wonderful life with you. It was like it was meant to be from the moment she spotted you at the shelter. Hugs to you, I know you will find a new friend again! Cathy

Ann said...

Lauri, what a wonderful tribute to a very important part of your life for so many years. I know how wonderful it is to have a cat, and the pain and emptiest your heart feels when that cat crosses the Rainbow Bridge. Sounds like she gave you so you so much. Big Hug

kelley said...

Lauri,

My heart aches for you losing your dear little Tiggy...no matter how many years you had together it's never enough...I am so glad you found each other all those years ago and you gave her a wonderful life~

Brenis said...

Lauri, I am so sorry :( I know she will be missed in a huge way! What a love affair you two had!! We are soo blessed to have such wonderful furry best friends in our lives!

Alice ~ Folk Art Primitives said...

So sorry about the loss of your lovely kitty cat, Tiggs. How lucky to have been together so many years ~ I loved your comment that the kitty 'spotted' you ~ she picked you out ~ not the other way around!
Alice