Sunday, November 16, 2008

My rug hooking vacation...

I have just enjoyed a fabulous vacation! My travels began with a business trip to Newport, Rhode Island. That was work, but I enjoy traveling so it was also fun. I was home for one day and headed to Shelburne, Vermont for the Hooked in the Mountains rug show for 5 days. I stayed at the Comfort Suites, and my room was clean and huge! I was able to spread wool all over the room in short order in order to choose what to bring to class the next day. My class with Jule Marie Smith was fun and we all enjoyed her warm personality and talent. She is a good teacher for color planning a rug, and we all learned a lot. Some people chose too challenge her with monochromatic black and white rugs. The rug she made for our "Once upon a time" theme is at the top of this posting. I wish you could see the amazing number of colors Julie put into the skin tones...it's quite a rainbow and very large. You may be able to click on any of the pictures in my posts and see a close up view. We were also able to see the textile display at the museum while there. You can see some of the photo's of the hooked rug exhibit and a few from the museum in the slideshow at the top right of my blog. I just loved the old hatboxes that they had on display. I visited with some internet friends while at the show, and it's always nice to get together with friends for dinner and some crafting time in the hooking room.
Upon returning from Shelburne, I didn't even unpack my suitcase and headed to Alfred Maine for the 3 day "hook-in" held each spring and fall. It is a relaxing time with about 50 women (and one token man) hooking, chatting and eating. The location was formerly a Shaker village, and we were able to view their small Shaker museum. I will keep today's written post short as I haven't been home much for almost two weeks and I need to do laundry and other things before I head back to work tomorrow. But hopefully you will enjoy the pictures that follow from the wonderful "in process" projects from the hook in.













Posted by Picasa

8 comments:

craftingaplenty said...

The pictures are wonderful! I think I would love to find out about those rugs. The more I look at them the more I want to try.I am hoping this will post. Please tell us more. I will blog about Iowa when I get this worked out.

WoolenSails said...

Miz,
Such beautiful rugs, wish I had gone. It looks like it was a great show.

Debbie

Jacque said...

WOW! I love looking at other rugs in progress. Inspires me! You are one busy woman...2 rug events and business, too! You go, girl! Thank you for sharing the photos!

craftingaplenty said...

Miz, I just have to ask you how I can find out more about rug hooking. I just have to try!Where do I go to get started? What do I need? Even my boyfriend loves them. He agrees with me that I need to learn to do those type rugs. loreta

Miz T. said...

Loreta, I'm not sure where you live so don't know if there are any sources near you. You could start by joing this group: http://groups.msn.com:80/WoolSnippets You will find a lot of information in their files for beginning rug hooking. Hours of photo's to look at too, and a terrific group of men and women.

Cranberry Creek Herbs said...

AMAZING! miz, your photos are incredible. i jsut love the work you put into your blog, it's generous of you to share with everyone.
hugs,
arleen

Trudy said...

Love the pictures Lauri, what a great two weeks you have had.

Jenny said...

wow, all those wonderful hook rugs. Those all why I decided to give it a try...

Signed, a new hooker..heehee