Saturday, October 18, 2008

Barbara Carroll Class

I recently headed up to Searsport Maine for a one day class with Barbara Carroll. Since I haven't made many hooked rugs and mats, I need both practice and someone to teach me what I haven't learned in books. Upon entering the class I recognized many familiar faces from the rug hooking cruise last year, so I felt as though I had joined my friends for the day.

I really admire the antique look of Barbara's rugs. She tends to use a lot of "as is" wools. The pattern for the class was the Rainbow Log Cabin mat. It is a sweet mat, but not one I would have chosen. Our challenge was to use "as is" wools that Barb had brought. She brought groups of students to the table and instructed us to choose the log and chinking colors from the wools she had on the table. They were lovely wools, but I wanted a red cabin (I'm strange). That was not an option...so I went with the selections I was given. Similar situation with the background and flower wools. We were surrounded by many colors and textures of wool, but we had to choose from within the options that Barbara gave us. I think I was looking to find more contrast, but Barbara said not to worry about it because I would get the antique look I was seeking. We were able to choose freely from numerous scraps for our rainbow wools. It was fun for me to experience the way plaids hook up because I haven't used them in hooking projects. I had an enjoyable day, and Barbara is a sweetheart. The mat is turning out nicely, but I must say that I don't feel that I selected the wools. Here are some pictures from that day, from a penny rug that was on the floor to Julie's pup on the wonderful hooked footstool. The shelves of wool are from the Searsport Shop where the class was held. I just loved the old tub on the stand that was used to corral scraps of wool for the class.










6 comments:

kelley said...

Looks like a wonderful class with Barb...she is the dearest and most helpful lady...it's always a treat to see her color plan a rug for someone...thanks for the great photos...love that footstool...

WoolenSails said...

Love seeing the photos of the class. Looks like it was fun and a good pattern to learn on.

Debbie

danasmith said...

What a treat to find your Blog...and one so full of New England tidbits as well as rug hooking! I'm so wanting to take a Barb Carroll class and even more so after your wonder pictures! I have to say this is not a Blog I will share with my Beantown husband. He misses New England terribly and longs to move back! We have two daughters that are "Southern" girls and I can't see us back in NE....but your Blog pics make it very tempting!
Dana in VA
www.TheThingsILove.typepad.com

Miz T. said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog Dana. My family is from South Carolina, and although they say they want to visit it's just too chilly for them most of the year. Go ahead...keep this blog a secret from your hubby...I won't tell!

And Kelly, I loved that footstool too! I have put it on my "someday I'm going to make one" list.

arleen oliver, Creator said...

oh miz, i have been away way too long. your blog is amazing. the colors, the wool -- all so beautiful. i am going to read it beginning to ed and i know i will be sewing up something in a few days. you are such an inspiration.

~hugs,
arleen

戴佩妮Penny said...

cool!i love it!情色遊戲,情色a片,情色網,性愛自拍,美女寫真,亂倫,戀愛ING,免費視訊聊天,視訊聊天,成人短片,美女交友,美女遊戲,18禁,三級片,自拍,後宮電影院,85cc,免費影片,線上遊戲,色情遊戲,日本a片,美女,成人圖片區,avdvd,色情遊戲,情色貼圖,女優,偷拍,情色視訊,愛情小說,85cc成人片,成人貼圖站,成人論壇,080聊天室,080苗栗人聊天室,免費a片,視訊美女,視訊做愛,免費視訊,伊莉討論區,sogo論壇,台灣論壇,plus論壇,維克斯論壇,情色論壇,性感影片,正妹,走光,色遊戲,情色自拍,kk俱樂部,好玩遊戲,免費遊戲,貼圖區,好玩遊戲區,中部人聊天室,情色視訊聊天室,聊天室ut,做愛