Friday, July 4, 2008

Yard Sales and wool!







I always feel badly that there are areas of the world that don't have yard sales (or tag sales, garage sales or whatever you call them). I just love the thrill of the hunt, and it's always interesting what treasures will be found in my station wagon when I arrive home. This morning I hit a wool bargain, and got many yards of bolt wool for a mere $20.00. A rug braider was reducing her stash at a church yard sale and I was in the right place at the right time. The colors will be great to overdye too!!! My old kitty Tiggy had to jump up and inspect the wool and found it to be just right for a nap.

I also got an interesting handmade rug hooking frame. The top is a double frame, and your backing is to be placed on the inside frame that has a rubber grommet all around the edge. The outside frame adjusts over the inside frame with wing nuts, and it appears that it will hold the fabric quite taught! The top of the frame is quite adjustable to any tilt angle. The seller didn't know what it was and I paid only $5.00 for it. I also got a nice queen size duvet with sheet set and dust ruffle in new condition for a few dollars. Of course there were the other items that jumped into my car including a footstool (never pass them up!), an antique end table, small jar with a sheep (had to come home) and other things. Total for the day? Less than $40.00. Then I went grocery shopping and spent $75.00 on boring things like cat litter and paper towels!!!

The large and sturdy rocking horse was purchased at a yard sale a couple weeks ago for $4.00. I have plans for him (along with the numerous items I have stashed in our barn). He's one of those "in my spare time" projects!!! I plan to clean him up and sand him a bit, them paint him gloss black. I will paint pretty florals on his hips. His current ratty mane will be replaced with long brown and tan wool worms. I'm sure it will look quite nice when finished. After that I might donate him to a fund raiser for a local hooking group, or sell him. I have no place for him in our house but he had to come home with me!

I never, ever bring a yard sale item into our home without a good cleaning as you never know where it has been. So I will spend a lot of time running wool through the washer today, as well as the new duvet. I'll give the new rug frame a good scrubbing too. I'll be in my Garden of Weedin' for most of the afternoon, and after an easy grilled dinner I plan to hook away the evening...perhaps on my new frame! Happy Birthday America!!! God Bless you!!!

4 comments:

Jacque said...

Hey Lauri...I hope you're hooking away this evening! I think you did great at your sales today...YAY! I must start stopping when I see them...I might be missing out on great bargains! Happy 4th!

Gayle said...

wow wow wow wow wow on the wool purchase! The only time I've ever found wool yardage is at a thrift store - good day for you!

Brenis said...

Holy cow what a SCORE you got today at the tag sales!! Lucky dog!! LOL!! That wool! Looks like there were a few yards of each! And the rocking horse will be adorable after you are done with him :) I agree.. he HAD to go home with you! And the duvet and bedding set!! Man.. all our garage sales here are mostly "crappy stuff" !! hahaha! You know.. with about 30 of those cheap glass vases for a single flower, some nick nacks, and books! But i still "have" to look when i drive by one! LOL!! Congrats on your prizes!!! :)

Miz T. said...

Thanks ladies, I DID hit it lucky with the wool! It turned out to be a little over 21 yards of it!!! Always ASK at yard sales if they have any wool. They might not pull it out in the heat of summer or think that no one is interested in rug hooking supplies. ASK! And Bren...I know all about those cheap vases! I've seen a million of them too! Thanks for the comments...it lets me know someone is reading my ramble!