Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Weed wacking your frustrations

Have you ever gone to work and been so busy that at the end of the day you felt as though you had been beaten up? That's the way I felt today. I love my job, but sometimes I am just tired of it and want to be home doing the things that I really want to be doing! Why can't someone pay me to do my crafts and garden? Let me clarify that...pay me enough to live on!

When I got home it was in the 90's, but our yard had become overgrown with the rain we had last week. So I got out the weedwacker and got out my agressions from work. We have quite a few acres of land, and keep about 4 acres cleared and mowed. So weed wacking takes a solid two hours, and mowing about 6. After I was finished chopping around the edges of everything, I got on the lawn tractor and mowed until dark. I love to mow...it certainly isn't hard work to ride it around and it's a pleasure to see the progress. I'm lucky that I don't have allergies and the smell of fresh cut grass is one of my favorites. My gardens have some nice color and the poppies "popped" today. They don't last long, but are the most amazing color! This picture comes quite close to reflecting their true color, and was taken without flash. The lupine are thriving too and are probably my favorite color if I had to choose...I call it periwinkle. I must say that all that yard work eased the frustrations of the day and I'll be ready for another day at work after a little craft time and a good night's sleep.







3 comments:

JoJo said...

Lauri, your lupine and poppies are so pretty but I don't envy you mowing 4 acres. A rider or tractor makes it easier but nothing keeps those darn blackflies from feasting on you.

Our lighthouse? We lived in Bass Harbor Light on Mt. Desert Island for two years. My husband is Coast Guard, now retired. Nothing could beat the scenery there but the tourists do get tiresome.

I asked before but you might not have seen it.....where in Maine are you located? Husband has his mother and brother in Bucksport and a sister in Stockton Springs. We're overdue a visit home but can't do it with gas prices being what they are! That, and paying a pet sitter for 6 cats gets to be expensive, especially when I want to stop in Searsport at Searsport Rug Hooking and spend some serious money!

Miz T. said...

Thank you! And the thought of living in Bass Harbor Light would be wonderful...except in summer and fall with the tourists. I live south of Portland near Wells. It's a great area and I can be in NH in 15 minutes. The area you lived in is about 3 hours north of me.

I think my next visit to Searsport will be for the Barb Carroll workshop in...um...I think it's October! I understand about the cost of a pet sitter...that's why my hubby and I seldom travel together. He goes one way, and I go the other! And we both have a blast!

Jacque said...

Hey Lauri...I hear ya about the job...haven't found anyone who is willing to provide me with all the comforts so that I can stay home, though. ha! OHMAN, there are never enough hours in a day to satisfy me.

The smell of fresh-cut grass is high on my list of favorite smells.
Jacque.