Monday, June 2, 2008

My penny mat obsession

I discovered antique penny mats long ago, and loved the primitive look, the feel of the wool and the simple stitches that were used a hundred years ago. When I was encouraged by my friends to get a computer in our home, a new world opened up for me. I discovered that there were others who appreciated penny rugs, and that there were people starting to create applique designs as well as the circle penny style. I joined a penny rug internet group, and learned so many different techniques. Everyone has a different style. My favorite designer is Karyn Lord...although there are many who have patterns that I would love to make. I seem to be drawn to the circle penny style of mat, but going around in circles all the time drives be crazy when I'm stitching. So I tend to make more of the applique style. I love their portability and usually have one in my purse or in the car. Here are a few of the table mats that I have made.












6 comments:

JoJo said...

Lauri, I love your penny mats. So very cute.

Jeanne (RED) said...

"Miz,"

I love your penny mats! I, also, love to do them. The first one is so beautiful; I wonder if you could tell me whose pattern that is. I am on Wool Snippets (usually a lurker)so feel like I know you a bit. How wonderful to live on the Maine coast. I live in Springfield, MO. My email is jeanne.langston@gmail.com. Have a great day! Jeanne

Miz T. said...

Thank you so much! Jeanne, I am not sure which mat you considered the "first", but both the top and bottom (bunny and sunflower pot) were designed by Karyn Lord. Her business is called Wool and Whimsies, and I believe you can Google for all her patterns.

Trudy said...

Lauri,

I love coming to your blog and looking over your penny rugs and applique!

You are so very, very talented.

Wooly hugs,

Trudy

Terrie said...

Lauri, I'm just discovering penny mats and am going to order a few patterns/kits for Christmas gifts. What do you do with them? Are there other uses besides a candle? Being a penny mat virgin wanted to be able to supply a use/idea when I give them as a gift....

Miz T. said...

Terri,
I use penny rugs as wall hangings, and on both small and large tables without candles. of course you can put a vase of decoration in ght middle. you can use them as hot mats too as wool doesn't burn easily. I have one attached to a footstool.