Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Numerous projects


I am one of many people who tends to have numerous projects going at the same time. I see inspirations and often decide that I will be able to create their likeness with my own hands. Silly me!!! That is how I came upon the craft (art?) of rug hooking. My friend Mo and I had taken off to Vermont for a weekend to visit the Shelburne Museum several years ago. The museum was closed...but there was a sign that said "Hooked Rug Exhibit". Hmmm...I wondered what a hooked rug was? "Lets check it out!"


The amazing rugs and mats that I saw made me want to try hooking a rug, and the friendly vendors made it convenient to purchase my first materials. I purchased this pattern that day from Cherylyn Brubaker, and began a new journey. I spent a long time studying hooked rugs and learning their history before picking up the hook, and purchased several other patterns and learned to dye wool. I am lucky to live in an area of the country where wool is abundant. I began this in January and just last night finished the binding on it. I used Lopi yarn for the binding as I had it left over from making a sweater and it matched perfectly with the border. I have made very few mats but am pleased that I can see some improvement compared to my first mat. I hope to keep improving with every effort.

2 comments:

Trudy said...

Lauri,
Welcome to blogland!! I love the flower rug that you just finished, I know that you are still a 'newbie' at hooking, but the speed and skill at which you are turning out rugs amazes me.
Great, great job. I am going to add you to my blog list so I can keep up with your work.
Trudy

Woolly Lott Rugs said...

Welcome to Blogging! I started one last year and never got back to it becuase I didn't know what to do. Alice gave me the inspriaton fo try again. It's taking me a lot of time to learn. Love Monika Jones' patterns. I have a lot of the Folk Art Landing patterns... still undone but waiting in the wings!! I am at woollylott.blogspot.com. I am She Seeketh Wool.... Not too much there but I'm working on it. Have fun. I'll add your name to my list!!! ~Cyndi